Volunteering to Make a Difference

We are excited to have Stephen Kielbasa, a BSN student at Goldfarb School of Nursing, back as a guest blogger. In this blog he shares his experience, and the experiences of two other Goldfarb students, volunteering at a community event this spring. 

Mother To Mother Luncheon

From left to right, Goldfarb School of Nursing students, Emily Hancock, Stephen Kielbasa, Jeannetta Brooks

I’ll admit it—pink shirts often get overlooked when I get dressed in the morning. When it comes to supporting good causes though, I’m always willing to go the extra mile and so are the members of our Goldfarb Student Nursing Association (SNA). Despite being on term break, several SNA members donned pink shirts and volunteered for the Mother To Mother Luncheon at SqWires restaurant in April. Mother To Mother provides support to soon-to-be mothers and those experiencing postpartum adjustment disorder (PPAD). Thanks to events like the fund-raising luncheon, Mother To Mother is able to offer its services at no cost to clients. Here are some thoughts from fellow SNA members and students who also attended the event.

“I wanted to volunteer for the Mother To Mother Luncheon because the services the organization provides are both important and unique. Because I’m a mom, I understand the stress and anxiety that occur during pregnancy and after giving birth. I think that Mother To Mother provides a vital service that addresses issues that are often ignored.

There’s often a stigma attached to postpartum depression, and I listened with admiration as a Mother To Mother client shared her story, which was both courageous and insightful. I really enjoyed meeting the staff and the different guests, as well as getting to know some of my classmates who were volunteering.” Emily Hancock, BSN – Upper Division

“I was happy to have the opportunity to volunteer for and support Mother To Mother. As a mother, I know that along with the joys of motherhood come periods of emotional contention that may need additional support. The organization recognizes the many degrees of PPAD and is able to provide resources to assist even the most severe cases at no cost to the mother.

It was a great pleasure to spend my day supporting one of their biggest fund raising events and help ensure that Mother To Mother can provide services to mothers throughout the St. Louis Metro Area.” Jeannetta Brooks, BSN – Accelerated

At the end of the event, I think we all agreed that the Mother To Mother Luncheon was a great experience. We had an opportunity to see the innerworkings of a nonprofit organization and participate in supporting a great cause. I want to thank our student volunteers, and I hope that many more will join the SNA in supporting other great causes this year.

Stephen Kielbasa, SNA community chair

For more information about Mother To Mother, visit www.mothertomothersupport.org or call 314-644-7001.